It was to the young and talented Bishop Garriga that Bishop Ledvina confided the organization of systematic drive for funds for building a Cathedral, the success of which drive was a credit to Bishop Garriga's abilities and business acumen. The John Kenedy Family started the contributions by donating the site for the new Cathedral, and ground was broken by Bishop Ledvina and Bishop Garriga, assisted by the Rector of the Cathedral Monsignor Lannon on March 1, 1939, at 10 o'clock. On the same day, under the patronage of St Joseph, an intensive drive for funds was launched throughout the diocese for the beautiful edifice which now graces the City's bluff.
The cornerstone of the Cathedral was laid on March 1, 1940, and on July 17, of the same year, it was dedicated under the title of Corpus Christi Cathedral. Bishop Garriga gave the solemn blessing at 9:30, and Bishop Ledvina sang the Pontifical Mass at 10 o'clock. Most Rev. Joseph P. Rummel Archbishop of New Orleans, Louisiana, gave the dedicatory sermon. Rev. Laurence J. FitzSimon pastor of St James Church, Seguin, was the narrator over Radio Station KRIS. There were two Archbishops and seventeen Bishops, besides a large number of visiting clergy, present for these dedication ceremonies.
The Corpus Christi Cathedral is of Spanish and Mission style architecture. The domes of the two towers are of glazed terra cotta. The roof of red Spanish clay tile is mounted by the two towers. The three bells donated by Captain and Mrs. Mifflin Kenedy for St Patrick's Church in 1881, were transferred to the new Cathedral and installed in the small tower The liturgical marble altar and the communion railing were given by John Dunn in memory of the Dunn family. The marble pulpit is the gift of Cecile and Eleanor Kelly in memory of their mother; The total cost of the building and appointments amounted to about $425,000.