The Chancellor acts as the executive arm of the Diocesan Bishop. The functions of the office include:
- coordinating functions of the Chancery,
- interpreting diocesan and general Church law and policies as they affect diocesan operations,
- caring for diocesan records,
- helping negotiate diocesan insurance,
- providing consultation and coordination in matters affecting priests and priestly assignments,
- providing for general communication services at the discretion of the diocesan bishop,
- processing dispensations and any special permissions prior to marriage,
- supervising the maintenance of the archives and the purchasing of future parish sites.
Rev. Msgr. Louis Kihneman III serves as Chancellor and supervises work of the Communications Department, Office of Child and Youth Protection, Diocesan Archives, Diocesan Web Site Managment, and Information Systems/ Technology.